All ALNO suppliers have to certify that their materials and products do not present any health risks and adhere to the German and international quality standards concerning healthy living.
These standards guarantee that ALNO kitchens and their components do not generate any harmful emissions. Coating, lacquering and galvanizing processes only use non-toxic substances.
In addition to this, ALNO‘s environmental and energy management system ensures that only environmentally conscious processes are used within the factory. The aim of this system is to achieve a resource-friendly production by identifying and implementing energy saving measures, such as encouraging a reduction in water consumption, as well as reducing the waste to an absolute minimum. Continuous training is given to all production employees to ensure responsible use of energy and other resources and to protect them from harmful conditions (e.g. how to reduce noise levels). A strict recycling policy is in operation at our production facilities and offices.
Listed are just a few examples of ALNO’s environmental policies:
- The majority of wood used by the company is sourced from managed forests Furthermore, the company’s direct supply chain management operates in strict adherence of this policy.
- If at all possible, wood waste created during production is used as fuel to heat the main factory. This reduces the waste dramatically and timber resources are used to maximum capacity.
- The air is kept clear from harmful particles to protect the factory workers and their surroundings. This is particularly important for a wood processing plant. To that effect the grind and saw dust that is constantly produced is drawn from the air using a high power air filtering system.
- In packaging, polystyrene is avoided as much as possible and cardboard is used instead which is easily disposable and has a neutral ecological effect as it is recyclable.
- Environmental measures are also applied in logistics: sophisticated tour and load planning ensures that the shortest possible route is chosen and journeys with empty lorries are avoided.
And what happens to the old kitchens when the new ALNO kitchens arrive?
- Obsolete electrical appliances are disposed of into the recycling chain in accordance with current legislation. The sink is disposed of as scrap metal and all wood components are burned without leaving any residue. Speaking of electrical appliances: ALNO recommends that purchasers look out for the energy efficient product offers from various appliance manufacturers. That way money can be saved and the effect on the environment is kept to a minimum.
- And a bit of practical advice; if the kitchen is cleaned regularly, clear water and a mild soapy solution are completely sufficient. Abrasive chemical cleaning agents are not only unnecessary but also less environmentally friendly.
The examples presented above are only a small extract taken from the various processes and policies applied at ALNO and clearly show the importance that is placed on the environment in our organisation. Our principle „What is good for the environment is good for people“ is put into practice on a daily basis.